Taj Mahal is India’s most beautiful, recognized monument also known as the symbol of Love and also on the list of Seven Wonders of the World. Visiting Taj Mahal is the dream of millions and millions of people across the world. It famous for its architectural beauty not only in India but around the world. This monument has very rich history, the history of love! The history itself dating back to 1630 AD and is actually a tomb that contains the body of Mumtaz Mahal – the wife of Mughal emperor Shah Jahan. Shah Jahan had built it as the symbol of love to her. It’s made out of marble and took almost 22 years and 20 000 workers to complete. The Taj Mahal was also declared as a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1983 for being “the jewel of Muslim art in India and one of the universally admired masterpieces of the world’s heritage.”
You will find No single monument like TajMahal in the world has the same beauty and magnificence as this. The massive magnificent marble structure, built on the bank of Yamuna River, within an environment of a beautiful garden, is fantastic. It has been constructed 350 years ago but still retains its romantic aura that attracts millions of visitors. Thanks to its eternal charm, Taj Mahal is today the most popular monument of monuments that are part of the world heritage.
TAJ MAHAL: THE GREAT ARCHITECTURAL EXAMPLE
The Taj Mahal was designed on the tradition of Mughal architecture and Persian architectural work, it is mainly inspired by Humayun’s tomb, Itmad-Ud-Daulah’s Tomb and Jama Masjid, Delhi.
The exterior decoration of Taj Mahal is one of the finest examples of Mughal architectural beauty. The tomb also known as the main structure of Taj Mahal is decorated by stone carving, geometric sculpturing of vines, Flowers and fruits, and beautiful calligraphy.
The inner chamber of tomb also known as the main structure of Taj Mahal is Octagon in a geometric shape, and have an entry from each face, but nowadays only gate facing garden of a south part is used for entry into the dome.
The Gardens complex:
The garden complex is spread around the 300 square meter. The garden uses raised pathways that divide each of the four quarters of the garden into 16 sunken parterres or flowerbeds. This design concept of Charbagh garden also known as Mughal garden is inspired by Persian Garden style.
HOW TO REACH THE TAJ MAHAL
Location of Taj Mahal:
The Taj Mahal has situated in the city of Agra, in the state of Uttar Pradesh, India. approximately having 200 kilometers distance from New Delhi (Capital city of India). It’s part of India’s Famous Golden Triangle Tourist Circuit.
Taj Mahal, Agra is easily accessible by car, bus, train or airplane from New Delhi and peripheral big cities. A pre-packaged trip from a Private tour Guides (usually called the Golden Triangle of India’s tourism hotspots) will arrange transportation for you if you opted travel package from them. Trains also run regularly from Delhi and Jaipur to Agra anyone can book the train ticket from a station or from online mode. It is recommended to book in advance. Agra has mostly regular daily flights to and from Delhi and other major cities in India.
WHICH MONTH IS BETTER FOR VISITING TAJ MAHAL:
Generally, Month of October to March is suitable and best months for visiting Taj Mahal. This will avoid the unbearable heat of the summer temperature and the downpour of Monsoon season. but the winter months (October to January in India) are cooler and more tolerable for sightseeing in India, Spring is definitely a great time to visit, as it is not too hot yet, and the problems with smog are not as severe. However, spring is peak tourist season in India – both domestically and internationally. so there may be the rush of Tourist on Taj Mahal destination.
GETTING INTO TAJ MAHAL
Opening hours for Taj Mahal is 6 a.m. from morning to 7 p.m. until evening every day except Friday (when it’s closed for prayer). The Taj Mahal is also open for moonlight viewing from 8.30 p.m. until 12.30 a.m., two days before and after each full moon. but you have to book your entry pass in advance for full moon entry.
Entry Fees and Information
For people with other country passport holder, the entrance fee is 1,000 Indian rupees (around 15-16 US dollar). Indian nationals only pay 40 Indian rupees. Children younger than 15 years are exempted from entry free. Tickets can be purchased at ticket offices near the entry gates or online at Taj Mahal tourism website. Night time for full moon entry, tickets cost 750 rupees for foreigners and 510 rupees for Indian nationals.
Vehicles aren’t allowed within 500 meters of the Taj Mahal because of pollution.
TOP TIPS FOR VISITING THE TAJ MAHAL
- Taj Mahal complex opens every day from 6:00am – 6:30pm (except Fridays).
- Sunrise is said to be the most beautiful time to visit due to lesser crowds and ambient light from sun, quiet atmosphere and on a clear morning, beautiful colors.
- Don’t carry lighter or matchstick box, authority doesn’t allow it inside of the Taj Mahal Complex.
- Food items are not allowed inside of the Taj Mahl complex.
- You can hire paid a local guide, to know history and Taj Mahal, even they can speak major foreign languages such as English, Japanise, Chinese, Italian, and many more.
- October to March is generally considered one of the best time to visit the Taj Mahal due to the cooler temperatures but potential foggy mornings.
- Avoid the long security by coming at early morning lines and don’t bring a backpack or suitcase.
- Bring cash to pay the entry (1000 rupees / $15USD for foreigners, 40 / $1 for locals. This comes with shoe covers, a water bottle, and a much faster entry into visiting the tombs for Foreign passport holders.
- Dress appropriately, be considerately dressed and respect the culture.
- Don’t forget to wear your shoe covers when entering the inside of the Taj Mahal.
- Don’t forget to visit Agra Red Fort too, after visiting Taj Mahal.